Assistant Professor, Cultural Anthropology
The department of Sociology/Anthropology Ohio Wesleyan University (www.owu.edu) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in cultural anthropology to begin August 2019.
We are looking for candidates with a strong commitment to both teaching and research in an undergraduate liberal arts environment. We are especially interested in candidates who are enthusiastic to teach a broad range of undergraduate courses, mentor students, participate in program development, and can contribute to creating an engaged, pluralistic and just campus community. The teaching load is 3/3 (3 courses in each of the fall and spring semesters).
The successful candidate will join an integrated sociology and anthropology department, which offers a major and minor in sociology/anthropology, as well as an interdisciplinary major and minor in social justice. The new faculty member will teach an introductory course in cultural anthropology, advanced courses in gender and family, and the research methods course required for all Sociology / Anthropology majors. The methods course must cover both qualitative and basic quantitative methodologies. The ideal candidate’s teaching interests should cover (but need not be limited to) post-industrial societies, including the US. Regional specialization for the position is open, with preference for East Asia. We are also interested in candidates’ other areas of expertise that could expand the department’s offerings, which might include sexuality, indigenous peoples in a global context, film, and popular culture.
There will be opportunities for participating in course development, including courses with a travel component. Faculty are also encouraged to participate in one or more of OWU’s interdisciplinary majors, such as Women’s and Gender Studies, Black World Studies, Social Justice, Latin American Studies, East Asian Studies, Film Studies, and International Studies. For further information on such opportunities, candidates are encouraged to explore the OWU Connection initiative https://www.owu.edu/academics/the-owu-connection/ .
- Earned doctorate by time of appointment, but will consider applicants who have made substantial progress towards completion of a doctorate (ABD).
- Proven record of successful teaching experience and an active research agenda
- Ability to teach courses in cultural anthropology, gender, family, and research methods (including both quantitative and qualitative)
Completed application packets will include:
1) Cover Letter that describes teaching and research interests (including possible course offerings)
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Teaching Portfolio (including teaching philosophy/statement explaining candidate’s approach to teaching and to creating diverse and inclusive learning environments; at least one syllabus for courses taught or proposed; and evidence of teaching effectiveness, including evaluations, if available)
4) Three letters of reference with full contact information.
Please e-mail application materials to: email@example.com. Please send all materials as .pdf or .doc attachments.
Deadline: November 5, 2018. Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
For complete job posting please visit our website at http://jobs.owu.edu/.
Te puede interesar
2a Semana Nacional de las Ciencias Socialescomecso - Jun 11, 2019
El Consejo Mexicano de Ciencias Sociales (COMECSO) convoca a participar en la 2a Semana Nacional de las Ciencias Sociales (2SNCS)…
Inteligencia artificial: ¿progreso o retroceso?comecso - Jun 25, 2019
No avanzaremos si el futuro digital perpetúa los errores del pasado. Si por cada euro que se invierte en nuevos…
La reforma educativa y la educación superiorcomecso - Jun 25, 2019
El ITESO, interesado en contribuir a la discusión reflexiva sobre temas de interés nacional, y particularmente relacionados con la educación,…