Local Governance in a Time of Global Emergencies
LOCAL GOVERNANCE IN A TIME OF GLOBAL EMERGENCIES
IGU Commission Geography of Governance
Annual Conference – 2022
Mexico City, 29 – 31 August 2022
The International Conference on Local Governance in a Time of Global Emergencies, convened by the International Geographical Union (IGU) Commission on Geography of Governance, and organized in collaboration with the Metropolitan Autonomous University – UAM and the National Autonomous University of Mexico – UNAM, will be held in Mexico City, Mexico, on August 29-31, 2022.
The Conference aims to explore and to discuss the challenges and innovations confronting Local and Urban Governance, in the context of global emergencies. It will be a forum for the discussion of the state-of-the-art of research on these issues in the different regions of the world.
Within this overall goal, the 2022 Annual Conference of the IGU Commission on Geography of Governance also aims to provide the opportunity for comparisons between countries, in different regions of the world, in both the North and Global South.
The Conference will bring together researchers from academia, public and private sectors, and non-governmental organizations, in an effort to present and debate their research on local and urban governance and to share knowledge, viewpoints, methods, research outcomes and policy ideas.
The conference is organized into four main tracks:
Track 1 – Local Government: Trends, Challenges and Innovations – This track aims to examine and to discuss current practices, challenges, and innovations in local and urban governance, and to compare local government systems and practices, and its recent reforms, including those associated with digitization, in different economic systems or varieties of Capitalism, in the North and in the Global South.
Track 2 – The Responses of Local Governance to the Global Climate Emergency – This track seeks to address the challenges and the policy responses to Climate Change / Climate Emergency, in the field of local and urban governance.
Track 3 – Local Government Response Towards the COVID-19 Pandemic – This track aims to explore and to discuss the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on local government and the local policy responses for the post-pandemic.
Track 4 – Local Governance, Spatial Planning and Development – This track examines and discusses the role of spatial planning in shaping multi-level territorial governance and the local policy agenda.
In each of these four tracks we welcome country and cross-country approaches, studies of individual cities or municipalities, and the comparison of cities, municipalities or countries with one another, and with those in other regions of the world. The scope of our sessions is international, including comparative research.
The Conference will be an opportunity for inter-disciplinary discussions on a broad spectrum of innovative research within the field of the Geography of Local and Urban Governance.
The final program may combine papers submitted for different tracks, if the paper’ themes and approach so recommend.
We welcome abstracts of those engaged in the activities of the IGU Commission on Geography of Governance, as well as from anyone with a relevant contribution in this field.
The Conference is being planned primarily as an On-site / In-person Conference. However, given the uncertainty associated with the Covid-19 Pandemic, an On-line / Virtual component is also being considered.
PARTICIPATION IN THE CONFERENCE, SELECTION CRITERIA AND SESSIONS ORGANIZATION
- Participants in the conference are expected to present a paper (oral presentation).
- All co-authors present in the Conference need to register and pay the conference fee.
- All abstracts submitted will be double blind peer-reviewed by the Scientific Committee for content and appropriateness to this conference.
- The working language of the conference will be English.
- Translation services will not be provided.
- he conference is organized in plenary sessions and parallel panels according to topics and issues.
- Each panel (2 hours) has 4 – 5 oral presentations.
- A time slot of 15 minutes is assigned to each speaker. This time slot includes introduction, presentation and discussion.
- The Conference rooms are equipped with computer (Windows and Office) and projection system. No equipment for presenting films or overhead transparencies will be available at the Conference.
- Oral presentations will be supported by PowerPoint only. Presentations will not be collected in advance. Participants are advised to take to the conference room the respective PowerPoint presentation file in a pen drive.
- Registration (online): 1 – 20 March 2022
- Please submit an abstract, of no more than 250 words, until 31 January 2022, to:
IGU Commission Geography of Governance
- Download ‘Abstract Form’ here >>
- It is expected that a selection of the conference papers will be published.
- More information on the Conference website (‘Publication’).
- Submission deadline for abstracts: 15 March 2022
- Notification of abstract acceptance: March 2022
- Registration: 20 March 2022
- Conference: 29 – 31 August 2022
- PowerPoint presentation (PPT file): during the conference.
- Full paper for publication: date to be announced during the conference
- Metropolitan Autonomous University (UAM), Mexico
Casa de la Primera Imprenta de América, Mexico City
All inquiries, expressions of interests, and abstracts should be sent, by e-mail, to:
Te puede interesar
Sede del IX Congreso Nacional de Ciencias Socialescomecso - Ene 25, 2023
Con el objeto de presentar a la comunidad académica los resultados de investigación en Ciencias Sociales y contribuir a la…
Eventos especiales del VIII Congreso Nacional de Ciencias Socialescomecso - Dic 07, 2022
Conferencias Magistrales 1. ▶ Ecosistemas de violencia local y gobernanza criminal en México / Guillermo Trejo Consejo Mexicano de Ciencias…
Colegio de México: plagio y crisis institucionalLaura Gutiérrez - Ene 27, 2023
[Texto tomado de la Revista Común] Enero 26, 2023 Héctor Vera Uno de los momentos más emotivos de la película…
Curso-taller Información geográfica y análisis espacialLaura Gutiérrez - Ene 27, 2023
El Programa Especial de Sistemas de Información Geográfica para Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades (PROSIG) presenta el Curso-taller “Información geográfica y…