1st Summer School for Young Urban Scholars
European Sociological Association Research Network 37: Urban Sociology
What we are organizing
The RN37 – Urban Sociology of ESA is organizing its first Summer School for Young Urban Scholars, an event entirely dedicated to PhD students and young non-tenured researchers.
This event will be held in Genoa (Italy) on September 4-6, 2023.
Why we are organizing it
This event is the result of the continuation of a path that started with the Young Scholars Pre-Conference Day in Berlin last October 4, before RN37 V Midterm Conference. It also draws on feedback that emerged during the RN37 Business Meeting in Berlin with the RN37 members and the young scholars who joined to the conference.
This event is planned to strengthen specific urban research skills, foster soft skills and interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary expertise. PhD students and young non-structured scholars will also be able to discuss and receive feedback on their work from senior researchers with high reputation in urban studies.
People who are interested in joining the Summer School are requested to:
- Submit a motivation letter (max 2 pages) and a CV (max 5 pages)
- In case they are accepted, applicants will be requested to submit a full draft of a paper/proposal/chapter to receive a feedback during the summer school.
- March 31, 2023: submission of motivation letter and CV
- April 15, 2023: communication of the selection result to the applicants
- April 17, 2023 – May 17, 2023: opening and closing of registrations.
- June 15, 2023: end of possibility to ask for refund in case of non-participation.
- July 15, 2023: submission of papers/proposal/chapters.
- 75€ for ESA members
- 100€ for non-ESA members
- Registration fees include: coffee breaks, lunches, the social dinner of September 5, and the urban walk
- Registration fees do not include travel and accommodation (although we will give some information about accommodation timely)
The detailed programme is still in progress, and of course will depend also on the number of participants as well as other aspects. However, activities, however, are planned to start on the morning of September 4 and end in the afternoon of September 6.
Below a list of the activities that are currently being planned:
- Seminars about qualitative and quantitative tools in urban sociology
- An Urban walk in the Genoa city center
- Thematic sessions on: (1) academic writing and publication, (2) networking and group strategies, (3) mental well-being and life-work balance relations in academia, (4) writing proposals and identifying sources of research funding.
- Workshops including presentations and roundtable activities involving the participants and discussion sessions with senior urban researchers
- RN37 Open Business Meeting
- Plenary session about challenges and opportunities for urban sociology in the 21st century
- Gabriele Manella (University of Bologna, Italy), Coordinator
- Katarzyna Kajdanek (University of Wroclaw, Poland), Vice-Coordinator
- Anna Bednarczyk (Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland), Board Member
- Madalena Corte-Real (Nova University Lisbon, Portugal), Board Member
- Niccolò Morelli (University of Genoa, Italy), Board Member
- Rui Carvalho (Brown University, Providence, United States), PhD Student Representative.
- Niccolò Morelli (University of Genoa)
- Paolo Parra Saiani (University of Genoa)
- Daniela Preda (University of Genoa).
Te puede interesar
Convocatoria para impartir talleres en el IX Congreso Nacional de Ciencias Socialescomecso - Nov 22, 2023
El Consejo Mexicano de Ciencias Sociales y el Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales de la UNAM convocan a investigadores, profesores, profesionistas,…
Cuotas de inscripción – IX Congreso Nacional de Ciencias Socialescomecso - Oct 19, 2023
El Consejo Mexicano de Ciencias Sociales y el Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales de la UNAM convocan al IX Congreso Nacional…
Presentación Revista Red FEIALLaura Gutiérrez - Nov 27, 2023
Red de Formadores en Educación e Interculturalidad en América Latina Lanzamiento Congreso 2024 Presentación Revista Red FEIAL VI Congreso Internacional…
Researching social movements: methodological, ethical and political challengesLaura Gutiérrez - Nov 27, 2023
Today, social movements research is a consolidated field that has grown along substantial theoretical debates, encompassing multiple approaches and broadening…
Territorios violentos en México: el caso de Tierra Caliente, MichoacánLaura Gutiérrez - Nov 27, 2023
La Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana en la Feria Internacional del Libro de Guadalajara 2023 Presentación del libro Territorios violentos en México:…