Senior lecturer in Gender Studies
Karlstad University / Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences / Department of Social and Psychological Studies
Karlstad University takes pride in combining active external cooperation with academic excellence. Karlstad University has around 16 000 students and a staff of over 1 200 members. Democratic principles, equality and diversity are cornerstones of the University. We value the enriching presence of diverse backgrounds and competencies among students and staff. Read more about working at Karlstad University.
The Centre for Gender Studies (CGF) at Karlstad University is a transdisciplinary centre with the overarching aim of applying and continuously developing inter- and transdisciplinary approaches to gender and its intersecting categories. This is done through reciprocal critical dialogue between different disciplines and gender theories. CGF also cooperates continually with external partners and drives the development of applied gender research. In cooperation with the Gender Studies environments at the universities in Linköping and Örebro, CGF coordinates the international research consortium GEXcel International Collegium for Advanced Transdisciplinary Gender Studies (www.gexcel.org). CGF is member of RINGS, the International Research Association of Institutions of Advanced Gender Studies. Research at CGF focuses on four fields, namely Gender, Health and Technology; Masculinity Studies; Transgender Studies; and Gender Equality and Organisational Change. Common to all the fields is the transdisciplinary scope and combination of theoretical and applied research. The subject Gender Studies offers undergraduate and master-level courses as well as international PhD courses.
The successful applicant has expertise in the area of masculinity studies and organisational change.
In addition to teaching and research, this position involves the following:
- developing Gender Studies research in one or more of the Centre’s four research fields with the aim of attracting external research funding (Gender, Health and Technology; Masculinity Studies; Transgender Studies; Gender Equality and Organisational Change), specifically focused on masculinity studies and organisational change
- developing undergraduate and master-level courses in transdisciplinary Gender Studies, specifically focussed on one or more of the Centre’s four research fields
- developing commissioned courses in one or more of the Centre’s four research fields
- developing and actively participating in international research networks at CGF and Karlstad University
- organising popular scientific events in Gender Studies, focused on one or more of the Centre’s four research fields
- actively participating in the daily activities at CGF and contributing to developing a vibrant research and teaching environment.
The eligibility requirement for appointment as senior lecturer in Gender Studies is a doctorate in Gender Studies, or equivalent, and documented teaching expertise. A completed course in higher education pedagogy, or an equivalent qualification, is required for appointment as senior lecturer. Under special circumstances, this course may be completed within two years of employment as part of the professional development commitment.
Special weight is given to Gender Studies expertise in one or more of CGF’s four research fields (Gender, Health and Technology; Masculinity Studies; Transgender Studies; Gender Equality and Organisational Change), and specifically to expertise in masculinity studies and organisational change. Special weightis further given to teaching experience at undergraduate and master levels in one or more of the Centre’s four research fields. The position requires language skills and special weight is therefore given to applicants’ written and spoken skills in Swedish and English.
Considerable weight is given to applicants’ documented ability to participate in networks, develop projects and organise operations, as well as to social skills and the ability to participate in CGF’s research environment and collaborate with the Centre’s partners. Considerable weight is further given to the ability to build good relationships with colleagues and students, take initiative and demonstrate commitment to the development of Gender Studies. This requires participation in the daily activities of the department in Karlstad.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, non-fixed-term position (100%) with starting date at the earliest convenience or as per agreement. A probationary period may be required.
Appointment is contingent upon necessary funding allocation decisions.
The application should include well-documented qualifications. Applicants are responsible for documenting qualifications in a way that allows for an objective and qualitative assessment of candidates, and for submitting a complete application in accordance with the advertisement before the deadline. An incomplete application may mean that all aspects of your qualifications cannot be assessed qualitatively.
The application should include:
- application letter
- documented CV with the contact details of two references
- descriptive account of teaching and research skills
- copies of degree certificates, transcripts and certificates
- certificate of course in higher education pedagogy, or account of equivalent qualifications
- descriptive account of qualifications in relation to the contents and duties of the position
- future teaching and research plans
- account of other experience, and experience of leadership, cooperation and administration
- list of publications (indicate your own role in cases of co-authorship)
- a maximum of ten academic publications and a maximum of five works designed to convey knowledge, such as textbooks, educational software, or popular science articles (indicate your own role in cases of co-authorship)
More information is available in the document “Application Guidelines” on our homepage https://www.kau.se/en/about-university/working-karlstad-university/work-here/jobs-and-vacancies.
All documents and publications should be attached to the electronic application (do not provide links only). Copies of documents that cannot be submitted electronically should be sent to:
651 88 KARLSTAD
Last day of application: February 17, 2019.
State ref. no: REK 2018/276
We look forward to receiving your application.
Karlstad University has chosen advertising channels for this recruitment and declines any contact from advertising or recruitment agencies.
This translation carries no legal weight.
Te puede interesar
El malestar con la representación en MéxicoLaura Gutiérrez - Nov 21, 2019
El Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales y el Centro de Investigaciones Interdisciplinarias en Ciencias y Humanidades de la UNAM, invitan a…
¿Hacia dónde va América del Sur?Laura Gutiérrez - Nov 21, 2019
Seminario Internacional ¿Hacia dónde va América del Sur? Conflicto social e institucionalidad política en tiempos convulsos Noviembre 25 y 26…
Rinde protesta Enrique Graue como rector de la UNAMLaura Gutiérrez - Nov 21, 2019
Reiteró su compromiso de velar por los intereses y valores de la Universidad, así como proteger los derechos de los…