International Conference: “Social Solidarity Economy and the Commons: Envisioning sustainable and post-capitalist futures”.
21-23 November 2018
ISCTE-IUL, Instituto Universitário de Lisboa
Organiser: CEI-IUL, Centre for International Studies
With the support of the Department of Political Economy (ISCTE-IUL) and Centre for Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Changes (CE3C), Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon
In response to the current global social and environmental crisis, various social movements are developing alternatives to the socio-economic status quo by mobilizing endogenous practices, institutions and resources and networking among grassroots initiatives. Within these movements stands out Solidary Social Economy and the Commons. This international and interdisciplinary conference, guided by an action research strategy, aims to respond to challenges that have arisen from recent research on forms of shared governance between the state, the market and the third sector, promoted by movements and public policies for the Social Solidarity Economy, as well as criticisms made by authors such as Martin Deleixhe, David Harvey and Massimo de Angelis to the theory developed by Elinor Ostrom on the management of common property:
- How to promote a strong sense of community belonging, necessary to promote the cooperation between stakeholders that is necessary for the harmonious governance of Social Solidarity Economy and the Commons, while preventing the emergence of totalizing visions, ensuring pluralism and promoting democratic deepening?
- How to promote shared governance strategies between the state, the market and the third sector, aimed at supporting the development of Social Solidarity Economy networks as spaces of self-organization, in which participants can autonomously construct themselves as economic and political subjects?
- How to promote organizations based on the constitution and / or management of Common Goods (Integral Cooperatives, Ecovillages, associations of users and / or producers, etc.) based on fair, inclusive and participative forms of governance, and integrated into grassroots socioeconomic dynamics?
The purpose of this event is to promote an intersectoral dialogue on this topic at the international level. We invite researchers, activists, public officials, social entrepreneurs and other actors in these fields to present communications that explore possible configurations which the convergence between the approaches proposed by the Solidarity Economy and Common Goods movements can assume in the following fields:
– Production and distribution of food, water and energy;
– Infrastructures (management of territories, means of communication and transport, information technologies, housing and economic and cultural activity spaces);
– Health, Education and Culture
– Financial systems (ethical finance, social currencies, crypto-coins).
The objective is to develop theoretical and empirical materials that facilitate convergence and the establishment of common action plans for the promotion of socially and environmentally resilient communities, in particular through:
(a) adaptation to climate change, transition to the use of renewable energies and promotion of “environmental ethics”;
b) public policies and participatory democracy mechanisms to promote social justice through empowerment and a more effective exercise of social, economic and civic rights by vulnerable social groups;
c) the revitalization of local economies through “short circuits” of production and consumption that stimulate the creation of employment and the establishment of wealth at an autochthonous level.
Please email paper abstracts of no more than 300 words to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31 2018. Acceptance and rejection notices will be sent in mid-June 2018.
The organizing committee will subsequently selected papers presented at the conference to be published in the ISCTE-IUL Centre for International Studies (CEI) open source e-book collection. The authors and actors present at the thematic sessions will also be invited to contribute chapters on the topics discussed for publication.
Te puede interesar
Convocatoria Semana Nacional de Ciencias Socialescomecso - Jun 19, 2018
El Consejo Mexicano de Ciencias Sociales convoca a las instituciones afiliadas a participar en la Semana Nacional de las Ciencias…
Teoría ¿Para qué? Metodología ¿Para qué?comecso - Jun 19, 2018
Con el objetivo de discutir y reflexionar sobre la situación actual y el desarrollo de la teoría y la metodología…
Conceptos claves en Ciencias SocialesLaura Gutiérrez - Ago 21, 2018
Conceptos claves en Ciencias Sociales. Definición y aplicaciones Jorge Ramírez Plascencia. Coordinador Universidad de Guadalajara Introducción. El problema de los…
Skylight SolidariLabs | MéxicoLaura Gutiérrez - Ago 21, 2018
SOLIDARILABS MEXICO FORTALECER LA DINÁMICA ENTRE COMUNICACIÓN, ARTE Y JUSTICIA Skylight SolidariLabs | Mexico del 18 al 22 de Febrero…